Thursday, March 31, 2016

WelikeCAMPING-LEEisurely

Switching it up a bit. As "depressing" as I come across on my blog just remember writing is my therapy. Trust me I am not normally a walking disaster pit. Usually quite the opposite. Which is why most don't know anything is wrong. Anyway. Moving forward. 

CAMPING!!! 
I got several messages about it. With several interested in going, just not sure what to do. So let me preface this. We are NOT pros and although we may appear to be, we have only gone 3 times. BUT I can share what we have learned. Must have items etc. 

Our first trip we went with our church small group. I would recommend any first timers to go with a group or someone else. That way you have someone else there to "help". We always have an open invitation for people wanting to come. We went to Bouga Chitta State Park. (Currently closed due to storm and damages). But their primitive camping site was "out there". If you just want to be in the middle of the woods head out there. Yes they have a play area, bathrooms, etc but it's a driving distance. We borrowed a tent and had NO (I repeat) NO supplies besides hot dogs and smore stuff. I monogrammed the girls sweatshirts though!!! It was FREEZING but we enjoyed it. 

Our next trip we purchased a tent. It's an 8 person and perfect for us. This time we went with my parents. They had the gear. I completely under packed clothes and forgot socks for all.  We went to Buccaneer State Park and planned to stay 2 nights but just stayed one. It was a great locations the park was nice. The bathrooms were a drive away. BUT we ended up right by a train track that a train passed on every 3-4 hours.... Nothing like the feel of the ground rumbling. We also didn't sleep well. I didn't really feel "safe" considering there was a public road close by. This time we brought the girls "baby potty" for them to use. It comes with us now. Adelyn was determined a bear was going to get her while she pottied. 

After that trip we wanted another. Oddly enough. I found Gulf State Park. I went on a whim and reserved two nights. We invited several people but as time came close it ended up just us. I completely overpacked however this was to avoid an under packing issue. We also had an over abundance of socks. The weather was anywhere between 40-80 degrees with rain in the forecast.  So packing was more "complex". For Christmas, we got supplies. Tables, egg holder, pokers, sandwhich makers, skillets, lamps, lights, lanterns etc. We still used my dads 30 year old stove. We had it all. (And FYI, it's not expensive stuff). We loaded up bikes and has no idea what we were getting into. This park was exactly what we wanted.  But, not everything goes as planned. The second night the stove broke, and we ran out of firewood (the park also ran out). So we ended up at Pizza Hut! So to be close for the "in cases" is nice. 

Breakdown of parks we have visited for camping with young kids. 

Bouga Chitto- very primitive, not close to others, bathroom/showers are far away. There is a park, but tough to get to. 

Buccaneer- nice but make sure your not by the tracks. Go when the wave pool is open. 

Gulf State Park- has it all. The main thing the park is HUGE. But the camp sight area is ONLY for campers. So traffic flow is restricted. Bathrooms are roughly about every .25 miles. So it's a quick walk.  It is well lite, so you don't feel completely "out there". And while it has "primitive" camping you aren't completely secluded. Which I prefer with little ones. We had trees surrounding us, but as we made it down our gravel driveway it opened up to other large camp sights. Has TONS of activities for little ones and kids of all ages. 

Questions I have received:
I can't get passed the bugs, they have to be everywhere. Not really. We wear off mosquito and tick repellent. This last trip it was only needed when we went for walks. The tent stays zipped up at all times. 
I don't do snakes. Neither does Ben. He almost stepped on an already dead pigmy rattle snake when walking on the road. As we were leaving we saw a corn snake. For the most part they stay away. We look out and I check out under things before playtime ensues. (I do this same thing at home). But it's not a snake free for all out there constantly. You just have to be mindful of your locations. I looked up snakes types for our area. Yes, there were rattlesnakes in an area we went walking on (Gulf state park). I had an encounter with one beforehand when Ben and I used to ride trials on bikes. They normally don't just go biting you. Anyway. It's important to know your surroundings. But we used this as a learning opportunity. Had we not had this lesson this week, Aubrey would have wanted to pick up and pet every snake 😳. Yes she talked to the dead rattle snake. "You dead? It's ok". ðŸ˜‚😂 

I don't like the outdoors. Then camping may not be your thing. BUT if a Mom from Chicago, which 6 kids (5 boys), whom has never been camping in her life drives 16 hours to go camping, you can do it. 

Where do I start? Just like we did. Borrow a tent. Go with some folks who have gear. And see if it's your thing. That's it. If you don't like it, pack it up and go home. You will likely just be out about $20 if that. 

What do I pack? This list can be rather difficult or simple. There are several websites with basics. My reasonings for things may be different then yours. I start with figuring out meals first. Hot dogs, grilled cheese, borittos, quesadillas, or most recently favorite the lunchables. Then look at weather and pack accordingly. I also look at activities planned. Pack those needs. But be prepared for mishaps. Make sure there are other food sources available. I mean this isn't "Naked and Afraid" and we aren't spending 21 days in the wildnerness with no food. Cool it. Your sleeping in a tent in a city LOL! 

What do you sleep on? Pine straw. Just kidding. We have tried air mattresses and they didn't work for us. We bring a down comforter (old) and have sleeping bags laid out. It's pretty comfy. Our next purchase is just a mat to lay down. We recently purchased a $14 tent fan that runs off batteries and it was fantastic. Ben and I have 2 sleeping bags that were gifted to us. They are VERY nice. We started out with 2 Disney frozen ones for the girls. But recently upgraded theirs for a lower temperature rating. It just depends on when, where, and what your preference is. I mean pine straw may be your thing! 

I have to shower. That's great. Go take one. If you are fearful of the communal shower, then you must have never taken a shower in a dorm LOL! You can also get a little portable shower. They are inexpensive. Bring flip flops. And if all of the above scare you find a pool and jump in!! 

There were other questions too, but I have typed a novel. In short, the experience that camping brings can be good. It teaches a lot and brings a family closer. There is no perfect list. We played card games, guess who, board games etc. If you ask the girls they won't stop talking about it. Aubrey will talk about the snakes and rabbits and Addi will talk about the beach ❤️ But both are ready for our next adventure. So come with us!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment